Wednesday, September 17, 2008

quo vadis domine

one of the more basic things that we tend to teach children and newer Christians is that God will lead the way and show us the path before us.

Knute has always taught (sometimes rightly, and sometimes to my dismay) that you can follow the will of God no matter where you go, and to an extent, no matter what you do. He always teaches that being in the will of God is not about specific places - "God doesn't care if you live in Florida or Ohio", and not about specific things - "God doesn't care if you're an engineer, a doctor, a lawyer, or a pastor." and to some extend of course he is right.

but I had been bogged down in this thought, and afraid, because in thinking that i could do anything and still be within the will of God, i became afraid that God didn't have a plan and i was going to have to figure out what to do with my life on my own.

but that's not what we teach... we remember the Israelites, who had a pillar of fire before them, and of Jonah, who was sent to a city he despised, and of Paul, who was sent to the Gentiles (and of Peter, who wasn't really), and of Nehemiah, who returned home to build the walls. and we teach that God has a plan (the famous Jeremiah 29:11), and that God has a plan for each one of us.

"Guide me Oh Thou Great Jehova" alex's blog reads.

"Quo Vadis, Domine" - the title of a pretty decent book, which can be poorly translated from the Latin to say, "Lord, where do we go from here?" (which the author attributes to be the sentiment of Peter, after the Lord had left.)

as i sit here envious of my friend joe and a man named strivings, and of anne and aaron, for the paths that God has led them in... i guess it's time to take comfort in my basic disagreement with Knute, that God does has something specific in mind for me, and it will be revealed in His time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't be too envious. I've been doing the exact opposite (trading money) of what I actually want to do (love people and be free from economic slavery), in the hopes that a breakthrough will be able to free me and loved ones from prison. I've dedicated the past six months of my life to this endeavor, and I'm planning on even six more. It's coming along well, but it may never work out- and a lot of time will have been wasted if that happens.

So, don't be too envious yet. If I ever do something worthy of envy, I'll be sure to let you know :-)

Until then, I'm with you in the struggle. May 2009 is next realistic lifestyle change for me.