Friday, November 2, 2007

what makes you my leader?

for the past week or so, i have been meditating on leadership

i do not consider myself to be a natural leader exactly. however, most people are in a position to be a leader if they choose, and so am i. i take a leadership position when i choose to be a camp counselor, when i choose to lead a small group of jr high girls, when i choose to take jr high girls on trips. i could be a leader to my younger siblings. i could be a leader to my housemates, my colleagues (i think i get to use that word at this point in my life). i could be a leader in my small group, though i am not THE leader. i could be a leader among my friends.

there are two kinds of leadership: the kind that comes with a title, and the kind that comes from within. the title of leadershp, i decided, does not make you a leader. i do not follow all who have the title of leadership.

leadership is a privilege. i do not lead jr high students to make myself feel better, because i should, or because i can. nor could i be such a leader. leadership of my jr high girls is my privilege, and i must be deserving of it. leadership for my younger sisters will be my privilege if i earn it. leadership among my housemates will be my privilege, if i earn it.

what are the characteristics of a leader then? i'm not sure just yet. however, i think it has been a good first step to me to discern that i must earn the privilege of leadership if i choose to take it, and so must others who choose to have the title of leadership.

No comments: